• Vilified
  • Volatile
  • Wicked
  • Woot!
  • Worried
  • YeeHaw!
  • Crappy
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: G. Pulchra 3rd day in molt position?

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks

G. Pulchra 3rd day in molt position?

On Jan. 24th my G. Pulchra 3.5cm spiderling arrived with an injured leg. I emailed the provider concerned about the state the T. arrived in, but they said not to worry and it would resolve itself after its next molt. On the 26th at 8a.m. when I first checked on him/her in the morning he was in the molting position on his back. He is not my first tarantula but he is the first to molt (the first I bought shortly before him and is doing great). He has been in the molting position since the 26th, and I'm really concerned he won't make it. BUT then I read that they can stay in the molting position for days before the carapace splits open. I'm FAIRLY certain his hasn't yet... but when I google to look for what to look for I can't find much information. Am I concerned over nothing or is he really in bad shape? (note: he keeps moving his legs, he definitely is not dead).

I've searched every tarantula forum I can find but with no information about this exact situation.

Thank you for any and all help, I'm really desperate for him to live at this point.
      (also I keep saying "him" but I have no idea what gender it is.)

Amica Araneorum

A spider NEVER leaves her web.

I am:
      I'm Where?

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Do you have a picture of your tarantula? (You can post pictures after you've made at least 5 posts, so just post some replies.)
      "There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance." --Neil deGrasse Tyson

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ungoliant For This Useful Post:

skatzb (01-30-2017)

Super Poopdeck Moderator

"Stand to, you swabs!
      You're casking shadows on
      Poopdeck Pappy. Pride of the
      Pacifiric. And father to the
      shark. Brother to the
      piranhaca. Cousin to the
      killer whale. And uncle to the
      octupussy."

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks
      Thanked 3,762 Times in 2,710 Posts
      Welcome to TsUS. I'm sorry you're having problems with your tarantula. It could be nothing or it might be having a difficult molt. Can you move the entire enclosure into a bathroom where you can run a hot shower to raise humidity? Place the enclosure on the sink countertop and run the hot shower until the room fogs up. Leave the T. in there with the door closed for a couple hours. This could help if it's having trouble molting. G. pulchra normally like it pretty dry but if there IS a molting problem the increased humidity can help.

After you have posted five times you will be upgraded to Member status and will be able to post pictures. I recommend that you make four more quick posts here and then post some pictures of your T so we can get a better idea of the situation.
      "I am what I am and that's all what I am."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum.

SNČitch - Say NO to irresponsible Tarantula crossbreeding and hybridization!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to J!m For This Useful Post:

skatzb (01-30-2017)

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,436 Times in 3,162 Posts
      Hi skatzb, and welcome!

I am sorry to hear this about your pulchra, but if it hasn't popped open the carapace and is still moving its legs, you may still be able to help it.

While J!m's recommendation is great for the humidity, I would also recommend, if you can get a small drop of water on its fangs, you can hopefully hydrate it within, which will give it umph to molt.

To do so, find a way to place a small drop on the fangs (enough to cover the fangs). Be sure not to get water on its abdomen, which could drown it if the water gets on the book lungs.

We are anxious to see pics, so after you can make 4 more posts, you should be able to post pics.

I hope your little one pulls through!

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ManlyMan7 For This Useful Post:

J!m (01-29-2017), skatzb (01-30-2017)

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Thank you very much for the replies! For the last 3 days I've been putting the whole container in the bathroom and running the shower for humidity for 20-40 minutes at a time. I will try to give it some water on its fangs, any suggestions on how to best do this? Is there any chance I could drown him?

Also I'll make posts quickly now to show the pictures.

(Sorry for the slowness, unfortunately had to be out yesterday -- he's still hanging in there today looks the same as last few days.)

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      3rd post

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      4th post (so can post pictures... not trying to spam!)

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      ok I'll get the pics now.

No status right now.

I am:
      ----

Thanks

http://i67.tinypic.com/ay1tmt.jpg

not quite sure how to just post the picture but here he is. Also his entire container does not have substrate like that. he has a mix of vermiculite and coco fibre and the rest of that container is not that dry/poorly mixed. He prefers the corner that has straight up dry vermiculite.

(So sorry for the size of the picture.. not sure how to make it smaller)

Super Manly Moderator

Attitude: The difference
      between an ordeal and an
      adventure.

I am:
      Godly

Tarantulas

Thanks
      Thanked 4,436 Times in 3,162 Posts
      No worries. You did well with the pics.

With his legs curling in like that, he does look like he is in a death curl. They should be spread out. I hope it is as simple as hydration.

As long as you get the water on just the fangs, you are good. They don't breathe out their mouths, just their book lungs on their abdomen, so stay clear of that. If somehow you accidentally do get some there, dab it with a paper towel to wick away the water.

As for how to put water on the fangs, that's a good question. I have ever used a syringe and needle. The friend who gave me the first three Ts of this collection also gave me a 3" long needle, the type his mom used for refilling ink cartridges.

If I think of other methods, I will be sure to post here.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
      Last edited by ManlyMan7; 01-29-2017 at 08:45 AM.

Originally Posted by ManlyMan7

Originally Posted by crawltech
      Toss the male in, take him out of the water dish in bolus form the next day.

DISCLAIMER - Handling tarantulas with potent venom is not advised or endorsed by this forum. In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required. Please use caution when dealing with these species.